Sunday, August 1, 2010

Duchy remembers Jean Cryor

Trachtenberg
Cryor
It was nice of MoCo at-large council-
member Duchy Trachtenberg to include a tribute in her latest newsletter to Jean Cryor, a former state legislator from Potomac who was a Montgomery County Planning Board commissioner when she died (text below; the newsletter hasn't been posted on the Web yet).

The timing seems a little off, however. Cryor died Nov. 3. It's now almost nine months later. I don't know about Duchy, but I've moved on. [added later: By no means do I wish to denigrate Cryor, but c'mon, that was three seasons ago.]

Here's the item:
In Memoriam: Jean Cryor

As we mourn the loss of Jean Cryor, I want to extend my deepest condolences to her family, friends, and colleagues on the Planning Board.  Over the course of her life, Jean Cryor served the community she loved in so many ways. She was a journalist, a District 15 Delegate, and at the time of her death, she was a Commissioner on the Montgomery County Planning Board. There’s something great to be said for service—it leaves a legacy that reaches far and wide.  We are the better for her commitment; and we celebrate her accomplishments and service to our County.

I may be wrong on this (I invite you to correct me, please), but I believe Cryor was one of the last Republicans to hold elected office in Montgomery County. Trachtenberg, naturally, is a Democrat.

Of course, I am not suggesting that party affiliation had anything to do with the delay in recognizing Cryor's passing. That would be unthinkable. But perhaps the fact that there are elections in our future had something to do with the timing of the tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment